Compared to the lights of the Las Vegas Strip, Henderson, Nevada has a reputation of being a more laid-back, suburban alternative. The City of Henderson is located in Clark County approximately 16 miles outside of Las Vegas. Although Henderson is the second largest city in Nevada it holds a small-town feel for its 300,000 residents.
The Las Vegas Valley is home to one of the largest school districts in the nation, the Clark County School District. The school district includes all schools in Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City. When looking exclusively at schools in Henderson there are 3 gold medal schools, 15 silver medal schools and 12 bronze medal schools. Recently, schools in the City of Henderson received a little extra help as the city used nearly $1.5 million redevelopment fees and marijuana business license fees to help 32 schools this year.
A few notable schools within minutes of Ascaya include John C. Vanderburg Elementary School, which is only 3 miles from Ascaya. Established in 1999, Foothills Montessori School is thriving and now offers education up to the eighth grade and is located just over 2 miles from Ascaya. Another notable school in Henderson is the Bob Miller Middle School located 3 miles from Ascaya.
Let’s explore the best family friendly activities in Henderson:
- Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay (13 miles or 26 minutes from Ascaya)
- Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay is not your typical aquarium. It’s a total sensory experience designed to transport visitors to an undersea ocean of fantastic sights, sounds and encounters.
- Lion Habitat Ranch (7.5 miles or 18minutes from Ascaya)
- The 6.2-acre ranch in Henderson is home to more than 40 majestic lions.
- Springs Preserve (22 miles or 27minutes from Ascaya)
- Award-winning 180-acre family destination, featuring botanical gardens, museums, family events, traveling exhibits, trails and other attractions.
- The Adventuredome at Circus Circus (16.4 miles or 23minutes from Ascaya)
- One of America’s largest indoor theme parks features rides and attractions ranging from kid friendly to daredevil!
- Wet’n’Wild Las Vegas (18 miles or 25minutes from Ascaya)
- Wet’n’Wild Las Vegas is home to some of the hottest summer events! Last season saw the return of an awesome line-up of events for the entire family, including Dive-In Movies, Family Foam Parties, DJ Summer Sessions and Children’s Storytime.
If you’re thinking of moving to Southern Nevada you should give Henderson a closer look. Don’t think of the glitz and glamor the Las Vegas Strip is known for. The City of Henderson has been named one of the safest cities in the country, as well as one of the best cities to live in.